avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject DataSource code questions
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:37:39 GMT
Hi All,

	Hope all is well!

	I'm currently looking at using the Avalon datasource code in our
	project here and have come up with a couple of questions that I'm
	not sure about.

	1. In our environment, the database passwords are not specified in
	any configuration file, but are received via a library
	dynamically.

	We'd need to extend the Avalon datasource code to support this
	(no problem from our side), but I'm wondering if there's interest
	in creating an official mechanism for obtaining database passwords
	other than via plain text in a configuration file ?
	Perhaps something along the lines of a password strategy ? Thoughts,
	ideas ?

	2. This one is more generic - our application is a Cocoon application,
	which has the following role set defined in cocoon.roles:

<role name="org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.DataSourceComponentSelector"
       shorthand="datasources"
       default-class="org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector">
    <hint shorthand="jdbc" class="org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.JdbcDataSource"/>
    <hint shorthand="j2ee" class="org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.J2eeDataSource"/>
    <hint shorthand="informix" class="org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.InformixDataSource"/>
</role>

	If we extended one of the classes or implemented a new one with
	specific business logic for example, is there anyway to extend the
	list of selectable components the DataSourceComponentSelector is
	preconfigured to provide ? (ie. is it easily possible to add
	another hint without having to edit the cocoon.roles file ?).

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: