avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: base.path=/opt
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2002 23:10:49 GMT
On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 09:16:41AM +0100, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Folks,
>
> In excalibur's various ant.properties.sample files there is reference to
>
>    base.path=/opt
>
> Sometimes it is used, most times not.
> For those times it is used it will only work on the unix machine of
> people why have /opt suitable configured.  For windows people it will
> not work and anyway I think '../..' would be more universal.

You're right, "../../" is a better default. I'll change it unless
someone objects.

> We need to decide a strategy...

Well.. first, note that with the coming of altrmi, we have very few
external dependencies:

junit
avalon-logkit
avalon-framework
jmxri (baxter)

Of those, the defaults for logkit and framework jars will be correct for
anyone with the recommended directory layout:

jakarta-avalon-excalibur
jakarta-avalon-logkit
jakarta-avalon

(however if that assumption is false, the user will be prompted to edit
ant.properties)

And junit.jar is very likely in the user's ${ant.home}/lib, and need not
be set explicitly.

Second, remember that ../ant.properties is sourced before
./ant.properties, so if your ${base.path} is not /opt, you only have to
redefine it once, not for each project.

So the problem is very slight.

--Jeff