avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: New dependency checking system in CVS
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2002 22:50:02 GMT
On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 08:58:11AM -0400, Gonzalo A. Diethelm wrote:
> Is there any relation between this dependency checking system
> and what has been put into maven? I know Jason had planned to
> use BCEL to automatically determine the libraries required by
> a project; he even mentioned putting whatever code he came up
> with into the commons. Any overlap here? Just curious,

Excalibur's dependency checking is a cleaned-up, reusable version of
what already exists in many Jakarta projects. It requires no taglibs or
extra downloads. It can't do many things Maven can (eg construct
classpaths), but it can do other things Maven can't, like recursively
build projects. In time, I expect Maven will be able to do all sorts of
neat stuff like this, but for now.. :)

--Jeff