avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Task list for immediate future
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2002 10:04:32 GMT
On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 18:52, Leo Simons wrote:
> Do you think you can get this working in time for the first releases of
> apps (excluding the demo, perhaps)? I'd help, but I'm guessing that means
> learning ant internals as well...for which I have no time...

half the code for scanning and building up dependencies lists is in
excalibur/extensions. If you want to pitch then the main thing that needs
doing thereis creating a new implementation of PackageRepository that caches
all the package information in a cache file.

ie Say I point the repository at the path

/opt/java/jars

I want it to scan all the jars and load all the extension data in said jars
and then store it in

/opt/java/jars/.lib.cache (or something)

So in future can just read that file when looking for a new extension. This
is similar to what the ld.so mechanism does under linux and it seems to scale
well - at least up to a few thousand .so files - so it should be something
that we should do in java.

If you want to do that and/or need more info then just drop us a line

--
Cheers,

Pete

Bill Gates: "Innovation"
Me: "You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it
means"