avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Logo & banding
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 16:56:00 GMT
On Tue, 2002-04-02 at 11:44, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Jason,
>
> Small pedantic point inline....
>
> >>So I take it you guys didn't like
> >>
> >>"Apache Component Architecture"?
> >>
> >>I received no comment, so I don't know if you all saw it yet....
> >>

> >I certainly don't mean to be rude, and I don't want to start a fight but
> >I think it's somewhat unjustified in using the Apache name instead of
> >your project name to promote your project specific solutions. I never
> >call Turbine the "Apache Webapplication Framework" because that would be
> >unfair to both Struts and Cocoon.
> >
> We have been using  "Avalon : Apache Server Framework"  for 11 months
> now in the front Avalon page logo : http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/

If I had been on your mailing list when the first naming discussions
were being held I would have made the same comments. In the above case I
would say "Jakarta Avalon Server Framework" would be more appropriate.

If I did something like: "Maven: Apache Java Software Development
Framework" I'm sure people would take issue.

Within Jakarta talking about Maven or Avalon I think people know where
things come from, but naming outside our little microcosm is very
important. Using the Apache name directly is somewhat misleading because
it has the flavor of Apache-wide solidarity in a market segment which
generally isn't the case.

> >Turbine has been used for more the webapps and could be called an
> >application framework, and the commons will more than likely evolve into
> >a component framework. I don't think you can fairly use a name like
> >"Apache Foo Bar" without the buy in from the rest of Apache.
> >
> >If Struts evolved into an application framework, Turbine did the same
> >and the commons became a component framework and the former used "Apache
> >Application Framework" and the latter used "Apache Component Framework"
> >it would get pretty confusing pretty fast.
> >
> >I think it is most fair to all projects here to use your project name
> >when promoting your project and not the Apache name.
> >

> --
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org