avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@zenplex.com>
Subject RE: [Vote] Logo & banding
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 16:01:06 GMT
On Tue, 2002-04-02 at 10:45, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> So I take it you guys didn't like
>
> "Apache Component Architecture"?
>
> I received no comment, so I don't know if you all saw it yet....

I certainly don't mean to be rude, and I don't want to start a fight but
I think it's somewhat unjustified in using the Apache name instead of
your project name to promote your project specific solutions. I never
call Turbine the "Apache Webapplication Framework" because that would be
unfair to both Struts and Cocoon.

Turbine has been used for more the webapps and could be called an
application framework, and the commons will more than likely evolve into
a component framework. I don't think you can fairly use a name like
"Apache Foo Bar" without the buy in from the rest of Apache.

If Struts evolved into an application framework, Turbine did the same
and the commons became a component framework and the former used "Apache
Application Framework" and the latter used "Apache Component Framework"
it would get pretty confusing pretty fast.

I think it is most fair to all projects here to use your project name
when promoting your project and not the Apache name.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org