avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: site redesign
Date Sat, 06 Apr 2002 15:07:17 GMT
From: "Leo Simons" <leosimons@apache.org>

> I've committed a visual redesign of the
> website in jakarta-avalon/src/proposal/site.
> I tried to change the .xsl files cocoon uses,
> but gave up after an hour of reading about
> how it works and being no nearer a solution.
> In my evaluation, cocoon is something that
> can be used to build arbitrily large sites
> (and a wonderful package it is!), not
> something very suitable for small sites, like
> we have.
>
> Since anakia is not what we use for our site,
> I'm not throwing this design up for a vote,
> as I don't have time to figure out how to get
> it all to work with cocoon. It would be very
> nice if someone proficient with cocoon could
> do so, and I'm very willing to provide
> assistance.

Ok, I'll do it.

I use Cocoon with the new interpreted sitemap in the new Krysalis Centipede
and have multiple skin support, so I might as well add the Avalon skin.

> Finally, I am moving some of my own projects
> over to maven, which I found works rather
> nicely. I find myself in favor of moving
> avalon to it as well, so if there is suddenly
> overwhelming support for that, we could also
> not migrate the xsl files. (just a thought).

We've just done a major overhaul of Krysalis Centipede and it gives you
basically all that Maven does and more.

It's modular, and you can add additional build features to the build with
centipede packages called cents.
We have now:

centipede.cent.jar (basic build and dist targets)
junit.cent.jar
jdepend.cent.jar
forrest.cent.jar (uses new doc DTD and fast interpreted Cocoon)
antidote.cent.jar

We are adding cents for spellchecking and UML diagrams.

ATM there is not much documentation, but it's used on Jakarta POI.

We are working with Forrest and Gump; the Centipede descriptor is an
enhanced Gump descriptor and can be used as such. When Forrest will be ready
(first version soon) all Centipede based sites will have automatic daily
publishing to the web server.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -