avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: DefaultQueue not really threadsafe?
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2002 18:58:19 GMT

> From: Peter Royal [mailto:proyal@managingpartners.com]
>
> On Monday 04 March 2002 12:56 pm, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > The same thing exist in several dequeue methods: The return value from
> > m_mutex.attempt is ignored.
> >
> > See if this causes the problem you describe.
>
> unfortunately it didn't help :(

Hmm.

Quick questions:

1) Can you put some code in DefaultQueue and see if it actually enqueues the
   right number of elements? Just after every m_elements.add, put a
elementsAdded++.
   Just to figure out just where the elements disappear.

2) Can you run the threads one at a time? That is, run thread 1. The queue
fills up.
   Run thread 2. Wait until all elements are processed and the second queue
is full.
   Run thread 3.

I just want to see if it really is a threading error or if it is a logic
error.
As far as I can see, all methods in DefaultQueue are correctly synchronized
(with the exceptions I've told you), and I could not find any errors in the
VariableSizeBuffer.

/LS