avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: Performance questions about ECM
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2002 17:09:04 GMT
> From: Vincent Massol [mailto:vmassol@octo.com]
>
> > From: Leo Sutic [mailto:leo.sutic@inspireinfrastructure.com]
>
> Yes, I thought about that. But then it creates new complex questions
> such as :
> - when do objects that are not released return to the pool and how do
> you implement it

Never. They are gc'ed.

> - it adds parameters to the application configuration

Yes, but you can go with reasonable defaults.

> So yes, if we cannot do anything else, we will use poolable components
> but I'd rather not if I can find an alternative that is good enough.
>
> Isn't there synchronization also involved in pooling components ? ;-)

Yes, but you will not have to create the components over and over again.
The gain here is, I think, greater than the loss you have by
synchronizing.

Basically, I'm trading synchronization times for object creation times.

> But yes, you are right, preallocating all needed resources is the only
> way to guarantee response times ...

Tried ThreadLocal variables?

Gettin' uglier by the second, but 99.97% is a nightmare. All you need is a
single GC run by the VM, and you're out of margin...

/LS