avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Example needed
Date Sun, 31 Mar 2002 13:54:51 GMT
Tony,

We are currently working on docs.

It is not easy to find examples that talk about the application of the
framework interfaces on their own.  All application of these concepts
are tied to larger components.

More inline .....

>I am a new user to the Avalon framework and I cannot find any examples that demonstrate
how to get started with this thing.  I have made several attempts to dive in and try to put
something together.  I end up digging through the source code and find that I have just jumped
in the deep end without a flotation device.  After spending some time going through the mailing
list, I have found that there may be some other people out there in the same situation that
I am in.

>So, in order to solve my problem (i.e. learn what I can about the framework), I am looking
for an example that starts me in the kiddie pool.  Since none seems to exist (that I could
find anyway.  If there is something out there or if someone is working on something, let me
know.), I would like to attempt to put an example together myself.  The problem is, I need
a push in the right direction to get started.

>Here is what I am proposing:
>
>- my simple example will be an echo server (and a client)

If you could make this open source then we would be quite peased.

I think you are talking of this as a Phoenix application.

If so look at
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-avalon-phoenix/src/pdk/ as the
simplest/ugliest Phoenix app, and
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-avalon-apps/demo/ (ignoring the
altrmi and rmi stuff) as a more realistic basis for a clone.

>- there will actually be several servers that progressively add more and more Avalon concepts

Open source ?

>- the first server is very simple.  (Here is where I need the push)  It consists of one
(?) component that implements what interfaces?  It will not do any logging and will be configured
from the command line.  The component life cycle will probably be handled by main().

Ahh it appears you are not talking of Phoenix after all.

Well there are lumps of Phoenix you could copy for your /ill advised/
endeavour.  Do you want me to point you to them?

>- most text sent from the client to the server will be echoed back but, I would like to
be able to send commands to the server (i.e. restart, stop, etc.).  Hopefully that can be
used to demonstrate more Avalon concepts.

>I don't really know what I am asking for but, eventually it would be nice to see a server
with more than one component involved, logging and configuration.  It would be nice to see
a server that manages all of the components itself, one that uses a simple component manager,
one that pulls in some Excalibur stuff (component manager/component handler), one that does
????? (more help needed here)

Phoenix is realy your beast you know.  Having said that it is not
uncommon for a newbie to reject parts of Avalon for various reasons...

>While I want to start out with a very simple example, I also want to see it evolve smoothly
as more and more concepts are added.  Since I am working at this from the wrong direction
(I am trying to build something and I know nothing about the tools I am using), I would like
to throw something out there and have it criticized (constructive only please!).

Please make your learning endeavours Phoenix compatible.  Be insipred by
the PDK or the HelloWorld demo (above).  Use Ant (if you are not already).

>Any thoughts?

None left unuttered at this stage.

- Paul