avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Async connection manager...
Date Sat, 30 Mar 2002 17:23:03 GMT
Emperor or should I say Nils? ,

>As I have said I need some help to finish up the first release of the
>connection manager. I need help for the following things:
>
>- API improvements (control over packet sending and connect failure,
>statistics)
>- Synchronization
>- Apply avalon rules (package names...)

Go for org.apache.avalon.nbio.xxx,  org.apache.avalon.nbio.yyy for now.

>- Switch to excalibur? (is phoenix block)

Yes I think so.  Or put it this way:

1) Bulk of impl and wrapping of NBIO in Excalibur.
2) Phoenix block that can instantiate the excalibur comp and decorate it
with configuration that it has taken from configure(..).

Thus it can be used in Excalibur only or Phoenix-with-Excalibur.

>- Typos and names...
>
>- Benchmarking
>- Testing
>
>- nio implementation? (currently only NBIO)
>
>I can't do all myself. I'm at school and haven't much time.

Then take your time dude.  Do not feel under time pressure to complete
in hours/days or even weeks.  Just keep us informed as to how long you
will be.  Note - Rule 1 of estimates - do not give the estimate you
thing they want to hear.... give the one you think is real with contingency.

>You'll find the current version including a test program in the
>attachment. You need to download NBIO
>(http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/proj/java-nbio/) and change the path to
>NBIO in build.xml in order to build it.

Looks good.  Should put copyright in ASAP if you are emailing it to a
mail list.

- Paul