avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Website docs
Date Sat, 30 Mar 2002 15:17:57 GMT
  Folks,

Some obersvations :

Page http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/

1) Sub-Projects "logkit" before "Framework". Framework is our major art,
it should be first.

2) "Logkit" I think some front page addition to the effect of :

LogKit is the preferred logger for Avalon sub projects and components.
It is not a static logger like that other popular one that Apache hosts,
because we prefer one that is true to our IoC pattern. It is
interface/impl separated and can redirect its logging to that
aforementioned static logger or to various other implementations local
and remote.

3) "Excalibur" I think the addition of - These components can be used in
client or server side Java applications that in all other senses are not
dependant on Avalon. For server side Java, they can be used in the
Servlet context or fully blown server applications.

4) "Phoenix" - Pheonix is a Application Server for other Servers. ....
composed of blocks...

5) "Cornerstone" ... can be used to build your own server for phoenix
(i.e. drop starting point).

6) "Testlet" - can we purge this ?

7) "Applications". New section.

Page http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/framework/index.html

1) "Target Audience"

Is now : This documentation is aimed towards developers who are
interested in the design principles of Avalon, or wish to develop code
that will be incorporated into Avalon

Should be : This documentation is aimed towards developers who are
interested in the design principles of Avalon, or wish to develop code
that will be incorporated into Avalon, or reuse Avalon concepts in their
own application.

2) "Theoretical Aspects of Component Development"

I'd like to add a new pattern that we already informally treat
reverently. It is "Interface/Impl seperation". People understand it but
do not really apply it, of it is mucked up. Catalina, for example, is
supposed to be interface/impl separated but is (or was last time I was
active in their mail list) not. The other thing that wven we are
historically a bit guilty of is the separation in terms of jars. We
desire this because we want to hide implementation. Following of from
Peter's K/CAPI/HC trinity of classloaders, where Hosted comps (HC) only
see the Client API (CAPI), the Kernel (K) may have chosen to hide the
impl of the CAPI in a different clas loader, not just by dyanmic proxy.
The K/CAPI/HC trinity will be repeated many times over in the most
complex cases (Phoenix hosting JAMES, FtpServer, Jesktop, EOB). It would
be good if we could really start promoting this. At least I am getting
sick of explaining it to the people I meet on the net when they have
something that is almost a good candidate for an example for EOB. One
case wherewe have it wrong is I think cornerstone.jar, it contains
interface and impl and will probably be left as is for historical reasons.

I think I have created enough trouble for one day.... ;-)

Regards,

- Paul H