avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: New AltProfile package]
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:26:56 GMT
Leif Mortenson wrote:
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> The ProfilerManager could be named InstrumentManager (saves two
>> characters).
>

> Ok, sounds good.
>

> By the way, I have been bouncing emails back and forth with Paul Hammant
> about his AltRMI code.  He has been a big help, and I have been getting
> some ideas how to make things work.
>
> One question though.  If the instrument package relies on altrmi code,
> how should I handle the altrmi jars?  Should I just go ahead and place
> them in the tools/ext directory of jakarta-avalon?
>
> It will be implemented in such a way so as to have all of the Altrmi
> code in different packages.  Most likely one for server and one for
> client side classes.  Still have to work things out, But the plan is
> to make it so that the ProfilerManager will work without Altrmi.
> Altrmi will only come into the picture via an Altrmi interface to the
> ProfilerManager.  I am hoping to abstract things so that it would be
> possible to allow other interfaces as well.
>
> One option would be to have the altrmi dependant packages only be built
> if the altrmi jars are present.  But it would be nice if everything
> worked right out of the box as well.

The AltRMI stuff would be for the detached GUI (which I think we are on
the same page here).

Since AltRMI will currently only be for the Instrumentation package,
put it in the Excalibur /lib directory.

You've been doing a killer job, so keep up the good work!

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin