avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Mortenson <l...@silveregg.co.jp>
Subject Re: Commit: New AltProfile package as reference implementation for an alternate Profiling system.
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2002 06:48:18 GMT
Leif Mortenson wrote:

>Also, currently the state files are quite large because each of the
>sample data points are saved
>as an element. This also makes for slow loading and saving.
>
>I was thinking of storing the values as a large element like this:
>
><history>10,23,23, ... ,15, 16</history>
>
>rather than this:
><history>
><sample>10</sample>
><sample>23</sample>
><sample>23</sample>
><sample>15</sample>
><sample>16</sample>
></history>

Ok, I went ahead and implemented this as the default behavior for the
profiler manager.
It will read state files in either format, but the method can be set for
writes using the
use-compact-samples attribute in profiler.xml:

---
|<profiler logger="pm">
| <state-file interval="60000"
use-compact-samples="true">../data/profiler.sampledata</state-file>

| <profilables>
---

Using the compact format makes the files about 10% the size, and the
state saves and loads are
about 85% faster. For the cases where you really need the full XML data,
the attribute can be
set to false.

Leif