avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commit: New AltProfile package as reference implementation for an alternate Profiling system.
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2002 14:17:54 GMT
Leif Mortenson wrote:

>>>Alternate Profiler Proposal.
>>>

>>The altprofile project now supports saving and loading of desktop state
>>in the ProfilerFrame and
>>the automatic saving and loading of Profile Sample data state in the
>>ProfilerManager.
>>
>>Both of these features are demonstrated in the altprofile example
>>application.
>>
>>Both features are currently riding on top of the ability to save and
>>load Configuration objects
>>as XML files. I was a little concerned that this might cause confusion.
>>Any thoughts?

Configuration is perfect to be saved in XML, I have no issues with that.

> Also, currently the state files are quite large because each of the
> sample data points are saved
> as an element. This also makes for slow loading and saving.
>
> I was thinking of storing the values as a large element like this:
>
> <history>10,23,23, ... ,15, 16</history>
>
> rather than this:
> <history>
> <sample>10</sample>
> <sample>23</sample>
> <sample>23</sample>
> <sample>15</sample>
> <sample>16</sample>
> </history>
>
> What are peoples thoughts on this. It is kind of non-XMLish, but would
> it be worth it for
> the performance and space savings you would get?

My original thoughts were that we might want to plug in different report
types.  For example: Comma Separated Value (CSV) format (I have a
plug-in for some other software that can format strings correctly),
Delimited Format (pipe delimited, tab delimited...), etc.

Sample data should be separate and distinct from the XML.  That way we
can load it in other programs (such as M$ Excel) as we wish.  The XML
config file should reference the sample data so it can all be loaded at
once.

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin