avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: shortening package names
Date Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:41:10 GMT
On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 20:30, Leo Simons wrote:
> apache.framework.activity.*
> apache.excalibur.component.*
> apache.cornerstone.blocks.masterstore.*  (1)
> apache.phoenix.components.application.*    (2)
> apache.db.services.*                             (3)

+0.8

> avalon.framework.activity.*
> avalon.excalibur.component.*
> avalon.cornerstone.blocks.masterstore.*	 (1)
> avalon.logkit.util.*
> avalon.phoenix.components.application.*    (2)
> avalon.db.services.*				 (3)

+1 (not sure if rest of jakarta like this though)

> questions to address
> --------------------
> (1) - should we keep the blocks and services
> separation? As it is, related classes (connection
> being one example) are in two different trees.
> so you'd get
> apache.cornerstone.connection.*

+1

> (2) - should the phoenix components and tools
> packages be merged with the main tree? so we'd
> have
> apache.phoenix.configuration.*

-1
tools are separated out so eventually you are able to distribute separately
and create tools to build/automate/verify phoenix apps outside the server.

> migration
> ---------

How about the following.

* leave logkit where it is as it is stable and doesn't have any massive names
* leave the Phoenix API (ie the part users write against) where it is but
gradually move the rest.
* Move any excallibur scratchpad components to new home gradually

As for the rest; framework/released excalibur components we would need to
change major versions + deprecate before we did it. I propose we delay moving
framework classes until framework5. Maybe we could change the released
components as we move them out of the all/ tree. ie keep the deprecated old
versions in all/src/java/** and the new repackaged ones in the sjhortened
package.

This way we don't hurt any of our current users.

--
Cheers,

Pete