avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Excalibur ant.properties.sample
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:05:34 GMT
On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:30, Leif Mortenson wrote:
> >>Also, what do you think about creating a lib directory in the root where
> >> many of these jars could be placed by default.
> >
> > Placed there by us (checked into CVS) or users?
>
> I was thinking that it would be good to have them checked in.  It increases
> the size of the distribution, but it makes it so much easier for new users
> to get up and running. The jars wouldn't change often so it shouldn't
> affect update times at all once they are checked out.

Well if you can handle holding off for a few weeks we may be able to avoid.
If we adopt maven then it will download the correct jars (if needed) into a
central location and we wont need to keep jars in CVS. Even if we don't adopt
maven we can add in a auto-download capability to our build scripts.

The reason I am reluctant to do it is because of something that happened in
the phoenix module. A while back I downloaded phoenix and couldn't get
certain features of parser to work. Anyways it was because some one had
checked in a different parser into tools/lib/* or tools/ext/* or something.
And this broke phoenix which had been using a library compiled against a
different version of parser.

Then the next week I did the same and it was broken again because of a
mismatch between jars stored in phoenixs lib and jars stored in tools/**.
Then the same thing happened to cornerstone CVS, and phoenix CVS again.

At that point I decided to never use the build.* scripts ever again and so
far I have only had one jar mismatch problem and all has been good.

Sometimes checking in jars is fine if they are unstable or you need a
specific snapshot. But for jars like xerces/xalan/ant/junit which are stable
I don't think its a good idea.

If we can integrate an update-jars functionality (via maven or otherwise)
then I think that would still keep things easy. It would also make things
much easier to manage in long term IMHO.

--
Cheers,

Pete