avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gump, Forrest, Maven and others
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:38:55 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 00:23, Sam Ruby wrote:
> It still is not clear to me what value Maven-as-a-build-tool provides over
> Ant.

In a word "templating" - something I have been advocating since 2000 on
ant-dev but without luck as yet.

Take a look at the excalibur project. Theres a whole chunk of products - each
with a separate build.xml. Each build.xml is 99% identical. In all the build
files there are only a handful of differences - these being

* dependencies (ie which jars should be added to project.class.path)
* name of build file ala "Excalibur Baxter" (ease of integration into IDEs)
* optional steps (ie should you rmic anything)

So using a very simple project descriptor I could theoretically generate all
the build.xmls from that.

Even better I could add a lot of complex ant munging into the build.xml that
is not feasable to be handmaintained over many products. (ie Could look for
different products and give warnings or download them if missing etc).

All this transformation would be managed from one simple file as compared to
15 different complex files like it now is avalon.

FWIW I have been using something similar to maven since about Jan 2001 and
find it invaluable. I basically have an xsl sheet that processes a project
descriptor to generate the build.xml. I then have a bootstrap.xml that
applies transform (if needed) and calls generated build.xml. It is not as
"heavy" a solution as maven but then again it is not as complete as maven.

If ant integrated templating into the core then maven would not be as useful
as it is now but as yet not all of the ant committers believe it a good thing
and ant doesn't offer a "complete build solution" IMHO at least not without
too much work.

--
Cheers,

Pete