avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logkit: NullPointerException in JMSQueueTarget constructor
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:03:05 GMT
Hi again,

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:50, david.gray@hic.gov.au wrote:
> I have been a little busy at work to look at this but it has come back and
> bitten again so I raise it again..
>
> We attempted to run logging in another environment and got the dreaded NPE.
> The problem we have is that the NPE hides the actual message.
>
> My original suggestion to fix the problem was to modify the class
> org.apache.log.output.AbstractTarget as follows to instantiate the class
> with a default value.
>
> org.apache.log.output.AbstractTarget
>     private ErrorHandler m_errorHandler = new
>          org.apache.log.util.DefaultErrorHandler();
>
> This would create a dependency between the org.apache.log.output package
> and org.apache.log.util package.

That could be the way to go. Though it may be an even better idea to do
something like

private static final ErrorHandler DEFAULT_ERRORHANDLER =
				new DefaultErrorHandler();
private ErrorHandler m_errorHandler = DEFAULT_ERRORHANDLER;

So that there is only one error handler for all the newly created targets.

> I would like to see a fix to this problem and while I can patch the Logkit
> code, I would much prefer the library was fixed.
>
> Any objections? Comments?

Awaiting the patch ;)

--
Cheers,