avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Example of using phoenix/cornerstone for scheduling
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2002 11:32:19 GMT
On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 23:30, Neeme Praks wrote:
> My understanding the the following:
> I will deploy this scheduler service into Phoenix. Then I have the block
> available for use by other blocks. I will write a custom block that will
> look up the scheduler and will submit task(s) to it.
> Correct?

yep.

> Ok, now here are a couple of questions:
> * are there any examples/samples of code that would demonstrate the
> usage of the scheduling service?
> * or maybe even some documentation? (I couldn't find anything from CVS)

Not really - no. I should really document it better ;)

However I would recomend that you use your OSes scheduling features instead
to lauch your application. I use unix cron jobs all the time and they work
fine - I know there is something similar for win32 but dont ask me what it is
;)

If you really need to have a persistent server then you may want to look at
JDK1.3s java.util.Timer which may serve you better. The scheduler in
Cornerstone is really designed so that it scales to 10's of 1000's of
scheduled items - thus it is probably overkill for what you want to do ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete