avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: Maven, forrest, gump - Oh my!
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:24:30 GMT
On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 04:39, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 00:48, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> > Jon as we are all aware is a special case ;-)
>
> :)
>
> > Most of us are not having
> > problems are generally have a more positive outlook. This is not
> > terribly exciting stuff, but it does and can get complicated but in a
> > matter of weeks we have resolved many issues. I know that it will take
> > discussion on a wider scale to make a central repository work but in
> > it's proto form right now we're doing pretty well. We need some
> > automated management tools to check for stupid things that people miss
> > but we're generally surviving by not putting the jars into CVS and the
> > update tool we have will only improve to make things work better.
>
> kool. Maybe I just subscribed to the the turbine lists at a bad time ;)
> Hopefully this will mean that we can adopt it sooner rather than later.
>
> One thing I would really like is the following. I would like it it if us
> avalon developers could use maven and watch our troubles disapear. However I
> am hesitent to get users to use it just yet. Is there any chance that you
> could offer a different mode... by which I mean the following;
>
> Currently it looks like you delegate to maven build files. Rather than
> delegating would it be possible to have the maven descriptor transformed into
> a normal ant build.xml. This build.xml may lack some of the advanced stuff
> (site uploads, metrics, web docs, distribution generation etc) but it will be
> possible to include these build.xmls in the distributions so that users who
> download our products only have to have ant installed and not maven?

We could, but I would rather try to get Maven to point where it is a
breeze to install. Or even get it included with the next release of Ant?
I would like to try and avoid the complication. Right now I know of 33
projects using Maven and I think it will grow rapidly so if easy
deployment is a reality then it will be easy for your users.

There are InstallAnywhere installers and though they are not up to
snuff, mostly because I've never used it before, they will be soon and
it might be better if your users are working with Maven the way everyone
else is. Then they also benefit from all the standard docs that are on
the Maven site. I'm aiming for the install once, "maven will take care
of it from here" promise. I would like Maven to be self-updating so when
things get to that point I think it would be good to try. Right now
there are still some manual aspects that I would like to get rid of.

> > Maven will stabilize quickly I imagine. I want to finish the ability to
> > make reliable distributions (we can make distributions now, but I want
> > to make a dist based on a tag so that what goes out in a dist matches
> > the tagged sources exactly) and integrate gump, make another batch of
> > installers and then I'm going to announce something.
>
> excellent.
>
> > Edward Tufte (Visualization of Quantitative Information) ...
>
> I am going to have to go nab one of his books now ;)

Excellent books, he's definitely the best and I'm going to rip off all
his ideas :-)

> --
> Cheers,
>
> Pete