avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Gerhard Froehlich" <gerhard_froehl...@at.ibm.com>
Subject Re: .NET Port of LogKit
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:21:00 GMT

Hmm,
I don't know if I want Microsoft c# <spit> here. I just coded a little bit
c# at the weekend, because know your enemy ;-). It's a shamless
plug of Java and nothing really innovative. They just put their dirty
COM objects in a package structure under hud of their so called
language independet CLR VM. And it's more a marketing trick
to get us Java devs on the MS side. In the API they don't mention
in one word Java, as it would not exist, so C# don't exist for me.

Read:
<http://www.sdmagazine.com/documents/s=733/sdm0103a/0103a.htm>
<http://www.javalobby.org/clr.html>

That's my personal view. I would rather like to see a C++ port here ;).

But I'm young and I like to polarize...

  ~Gerhard

>Hi,
>
>For what it was worth it was me who encouraged Justin to submit this to
the
>list. I don't really know much about C# but it does look interesting from
>technical perspective.
>
>If no one has any objections I would love to see this sit in an Avalon CVS
>watch how it evolves and so forth. Especially if one day I have to switch
>C# :)
>
>So what does everyone say?
>
>> Hello All!
>>
>> I've worked on a variety of projects that all had different ways to log
>> information.  Some of them extensible, most of them not.  So I started
>> using log4net which is a .NET port of log4j, but I didn't like all the
>> configuration stuff I had to have in there because it either had to come
>> from a configuration file (which only applications can have) or an XML
>> element class.  Neither of which I liked.
>>
>> As luck would have it, I ran across LogKit.  It has the same heirarchal
>> categories that log4j has minus the configuration headaches.  Unlike
log4j,
>> there is no .NET port.  So I ported it.
>>
>> You can download the bits that I have so far at
>> http://www.pinetree-tech.com/code/logkit.zip
>>
>> It is version 0.9.15.0.  The reason being is because I don't have the
>> ContextMap code in their yet.  I'm still working on how .NET does thread
>> local storage.  Also I only have 2 log targets, Stream and TextWriter.
So