avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Gerhard Froehlich" <g-froehl...@gmx.de>
Subject RE: Resolver package--Please post your thoughts
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 22:37:50 GMT
Berin,
see dumb question inline:

>I have tried to address all the shortcommings of the ComponentManager/ComponentSelector
>approach in the Resolver package.  (located in Avalon Framework src/proposals directory).
>If you find that this package does *not* support your needs, or appears clumsy/difficult
>to use, please air your grievances now.
>
>Please either take the approach of fine-tuning the interfaces or of providing an alternative.
>It also helps when you state the reasons why you beleive your alternative is better :)
>
>Since everyone is keen on removing the necessity of marker interfaces sooner than later,
>I want a smooth migration path.  That means that we need a replacement for Component
>resolution (without the Component interface).
>
>It also means that we should do the following:
>
>* Promote ComponentHandler interface and implementations to Framework

This is the "Manager", who handles the Resolver request, or?

>* Provide standard mechanism for registering a Component with a handler
>    - ComponentInfo? (like BlockInfo)
>    - Manifest entries?
>    - Other?

What does this "registering with a handler" exactly mean? Does it just replaces
the Component marker interface, or do you intend to replace all interfaces -like
Configurable- with that? If yes, do you have a idea how we can implement this?

>* Finalize Resolver framework, or whatever the replacement ends up being
>
>If this seems like a winning migration path, and we really like this approach, we can
make
>it a part of Framework 4.2 or something like that.  It is important that we have working
>implementations though.

Towards a complete re-factoring of the *whole* framework, it's surly a method of resolution.
But maybe we should look at the *things* standard Java can serve us, too (just to prevent
to re-invent the wheel twice). Especially the lookup of the objects.

  ~Gerhard