avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Mortenson <l...@silveregg.co.jp>
Subject Re: [RT] Alternate VariableSizeBuffer ?
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 02:33:10 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Marcus Crafter wrote:
>
>> Hi Berin (& all),
>>
>>     What do you think about the (untested) attachment. I'm wondering if
>>     the increase in code reuse yields too high a performance hit in
>>     comparison to the previous implementation ?
>>
>>     Too slow ?
>
> If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)
>
> Seriously,  The two buffer implementations were created with very
> specific needs, and were highly tuned for those needs.  I think it would
> be a mistake to loose that tuning for code reuse.
>
> The FixedSizeQueue needs to be changed to use the FixedSizeBuffer, but
> I don't think it would be worth it to make VariableSizeBuffer extend
> FixedSizeBuffer.

I agree, but try writing a performance test case.  You can test both
methods and
get some solid numbers.  Sometimes the code you think is fast is slow and
visavera.  Performance tests should be named xxxxProfile.java.

Take a look at the following for example:
scratchpad/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/system/test/ContainerProfile.java
test/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/pool/test/SingleThreadedPoolComparisonProfile.java

Cheers,
Leif