avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: shutdown phoenix gracefully
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:00:47 GMT
Peter,

>>There is some JMX management stuff that I honestly don't know much about
>>(don't even know if its working or not). In principal it would provide
>>management access to Phoenix.  Personally I would like to see a pluggable
>>controller so I can do things like remote CORBA based start-up/shutdown.
>>Umm, Pete .. we spoke about something like this a couple of months back.
>>Maybe its time to put it in place ?
>>

>Maybe. It may be that the best thing to do for the moment is to add a
>
>void requestShutdown()

+1

Could we have some params for that?

    Immediately | Delayed | Server App Only | All Server Apps

Seem valid choices.

Also should it throw ShutdownVetoedException ? Should we have a segment
in environment.xml to indicate whether a server app plans to and is
allowed to use requestShutdown()?

>method to BlockContext which would request for that particular application to
>be shutdown. If there was no applications left in container then by default
>the whole container would shutdown.
>
>Alternatively you could expose the MBeanServer directly in the context and
>make it possible to get it via
>
>MBeanServer server = (MBeanServer)getBlockContext().get( "mbean.server" );

-0

>Both of these features should be marked experimental until further tested
>though.

- Paul