avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Memory leak
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:33:46 GMT
Leif Mortenson wrote:
> Still working on the memoryu, but here are the results of running the
> ContainerProfile
> test before and after the patch was added.

Try running the tests with the -server flag set.  It makes a world of
difference for this type of test.  Not only that, it is more
representative of how ECM/ContainerManager will be used.  The time for
the ECM usage test jumps below 100,000 ms (~93 seconds).  This narrows
the gap to within a 15* differential.

> While startup time slowed down a bit, usage time got slightly better.
> The new ContainerManager
> is a big improvement in speed though.  (kudos)
>
> You might want to try running a modified version of the
> ExcaliburComponentManagerTestCase
> on it and see how it handles the dispose order problems that the patch
> fixed.
>
> I was able to reproduce memory leak.  Still looking into how to fix it.

It is due to the fact that somewhere in this reference counting code you
are creating an object/objects and maintaining the reference for those
objects so it is never garbage collected.  The memory leak was
introduced with the reference counting code.

We may find that (since we *are* shutting down) all this work will be
for little real value.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin