avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Antti Koivunen <anryo...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Re: Son of ComponentManager
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 07:51:17 GMT
Berin,

I like the proposal, but there's one point I'd like to make. Role based
lookups are about:

   "Who handles the specified role in this environment?"

So, having the following would make no sense:

   resolver.lookup( "jndi://com.domain.BusinessInterface" );
   resolver.lookup( "rmi://com.domain.BusinessInterface" );
   resolver.lookup( "corba://com.domain.BusinessInterface" );

 From the client's point of view, it should always be:

   resolver.lookup( "role://com.domain.BusinessInterface" );
   // or resolver.lookup( "com.domain.BusinessInterface" );
   // or resolver.lookup( "ShorthandName" );

Regardless of where the component is found. I'm not saying you suggested
otherwise, but wanted to make sure we're all clear on this.

Now, the question is: should the concern of role based lookups be
separated into a dedicated interface?

(: A ;)

--
Antti Koivunen (Mr.) <anryoshi@users.sf.net>