avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Antti Koivunen <anryo...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject ServiceManager/Serviceable -> Director/Actor?
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2002 16:58:40 GMT
Hi there,

When I first stumbled into Cocoon 1 a few years back, I remember really
liking the intuitive names of the core interfaces, Director and Actor.
Given the confusion surrounding Component/ServiceManager, and the
somewhat valid argument that Object != Component != Service, I think
this might be something to consider.

The main purpose of Component/ServiceManager is to look up an object
that matches the specified role (behavioral interface), so the idea
would go well together with the Director-Actor naming scheme. Having
intuitive and 'fun' names for the core interfaces could also make the
framework more approachable (Composable???). Programming is serious
enough as it is :)

Personally I don't have any problems with the name ServiceManager.
"Providing the service specified by the role" makes perfect sense to me,
and I also like the term Serviceable. But as these are the names we'll
be looking at for a long time, I thought everybody might want to have a say.

The new classnames could be:

   org.apache.avalon.framework.role.Director
   org.apache.avalon.framework.role.DefaultDirector
   org.apache.avalon.framework.role.Actor
   org.apache.avalon.framework.role.ActorException

These remind me of the practical names I've used in AOP (e.g. Group,
Member), but some people might prefer technical terms. The idea could be
extended with terms like agent, audition and studio (though not sure for
what purpose).

So, is this way too silly or actually something to consider?

(Stabilizing ServiceManager is of course the first priority. The final
name of the interface is a separate issue.)

(: A ;)