avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] RE: ComponentManager interface
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:54:04 GMT
Antti Koivunen wrote:
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>

>> The hint if anything should match the ComponentSelector idea, and be an
>> Object.  Map (as an interface) provides a flexible N-dimensional lookup.
>

> Right. In a reply to Steve I actually suggested this:
>
>   Object lookup( String role, Object policy );
>   Object hasService( String role, Object policy );
>
> which maintains the same flexibility, but doesn't limit the performance
> or ease of use.

This even works like you would expect by merging ComponentManager and
ComponentSelector into one interface.  The last time I proposed this I
beleive Federico had a cow.

This provides the ultimate simplicity for the simple cases (i.e. using
a string for a hint), and the power for the complex cases (i.e. multidimensional
lookup with a Map).

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin