avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Antti Koivunen <anryo...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] RE: ComponentManager interface
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:21:21 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Ummmm,... I'd like to avoid the additional methods if possible.  The
> fundamently attractive thing about the whole of the Avalon Framework
> is this amazing combination of simplicity and functionality. Maybe I'm
> being over-sensertive but I'm very aware of the fact that we are have
> already almost doubled the number of operations relative to CM - which
> leaves me with the question - can you do without it?

Sure, as Map provides maximum flexibility. I also agree on the
simplicity point, but I want to get all ideas in the open, as now is the
right time for discussion. The point of the previous suggestion was ease
of use and performance. I guess we should also consider this:

   Object lookup( String role, Object policy );
   Object hasService( String role, Object policy );

It would give us the same flexibility, but allow potentially more
efficient implementations. Too much of a generalization?

(: A ;)