avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ComponentManager interface
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:28:33 GMT
Gerhard,

It is an idea, but you hint that the change of the return type is back
"in" again.

The issue here is really Sun's JVM definition of method signature.  It
includes the method name and params, but not the return type, thus we
can;t overload it in that area alone.  It we could we'd be doing that
and keeping the current interfaces, rather than considering a
whole-scale clone as an alternative.

Our three choices again, with Gerhard's too.

(1)  Change Component to Object for lookup method

(2)  Create a new method in the same ComponentManager interface

    variations : "lookup2",  "resolve"

(3)  Clone a set of interfaces & exceptions into a new package, either
with the same names, or not.

(4)  Create a new interface in the existing package

   e.g. GenericComponentManager

My order of preference: 1,2,4,3.   Note that I have snuck in Stephen's
"resolve" proposal as a variation of (2) and looking better all the time.

PD> If Sun jumped off a cliff would you do it too ?

No, but I think that a "2" suffix is not so objectionable to get around a return type issue.

try {
  MethodNameIssue mni = (MethodNameIssue) jumpOffCliff;
} catch (ClassCastException cce) {
  sout("not the same thing");
}

- Paul