avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Woon <morph...@SMI.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: About ExcaliburComponentManager and LogKitManager
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2002 10:57:30 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> The Loggable interface is freshly deprecated, we cannot simply drop it from
> the face of the earth.
>
> ExcaliburComponentManager and friends are *not* deprecated.  Using them will
> definitely cause deprecation warnings in the interim, but that is the price
> to pay for backwards compatibility.
>
> I am still working on the replacement technology--I am alot closer than I
> was, but still not all the way there yet.  Once done with the ContainerManager
> and friends, if we are happy with that, we can talk about deprecating the
> ECM and friends.

Ok, so I'm brand new to Excalibur, I'm not encumbered by any old code, and I'm
trying to use Leif's jdbcdatasource example.  If I'm understanding this thread
and the Javadocs correctly, I cannot use the new LoggerManager with the current
ECM?

Is this correct?  I should basically ignore LoggerManager and live with the
deprecation warnings until ECM is updated to use LogEnabled instead of Loggable?
Any idea what kind of timeframe this is going to happen in?

-Mark