avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Mortenson <l...@silveregg.co.jp>
Subject Re: About ExcaliburComponentManager and LogKitManager
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2002 15:42:03 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Leif Mortenson wrote:
>
>> Berin Loritsch wrote:

>>> These are freshly deprecated interfaces, let's give other projects that
>>> use Excalibur time to migrate first.  You'd be surprised how long this
>>> actually takes.
>>

>> It looks like the LogKitManager was replaced by LoggerManager, but
>> what was ExcaliburComponentManager replaced by?  Could you explain how
>> things should be done now?
>>

> ExcaliburComponentManager Must generate deprecation warnings because it
> *must* support the legacy Loggable interface.  Do NOT change that, please.
> You will piss off *alot* of users.

I agree 100%. Never had any plans to change them <:-)  All old released
APIs need to be kept around even if deprecated.  I was just looking for
the new non-deprecated way of doing things.

> The Loggable interface is freshly deprecated, we cannot simply drop it from
> the face of the earth.
>
> ExcaliburComponentManager and friends are *not* deprecated.  Using them
> will
> definitely cause deprecation warnings in the interim, but that is the price
> to pay for backwards compatibility.
>
> I am still working on the replacement technology--I am alot closer than I
> was, but still not all the way there yet.  Once done with the
> ContainerManager
> and friends, if we are happy with that, we can talk about deprecating the
> ECM and friends.

Ok, that is the answer to my question?  The classes in the system
package will be used to load configuration files and get a
ComponentManager, Logger etc up and running.

I have been trying to work on some examples of how to use some of
Excalibur's key components.  I wanted to write them using the
recommended new APIs so as not to confuse new users.  As they are not
quite ready yet, I'll keep working with the existing APIs until you get
things done.

> P.S.  The LogKitManager is required by ECM to provide LogKit Logger
> interfaces
> to the Loggable components.  Please do not break that.  It would cause more
> problems than it is worth.

I Agree,

Cheers,
Leif