avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about some pools not implementing Poolable
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 04:05:11 GMT
Leif Mortenson wrote:

> I noticed a couple places in the pool package where classes are not
> implementing Initializable, when they should.  Wanted to make sure that
> these were not by design before making any changes.
>
> 1) The SoftResourceLimitingPool relies on its initialize() method being
> called, but the class does not currently implement Initializable.
> HardResourceLimitingPool currently extends SoftResourceLimitingPool and
> does implement Initialize. It should be removed from the later.

This was to address a limitation that I can't remember what it is right
now.  The goal was to move toward an Initializable pool.  However there
are environments where the user just wants to create the pool and be
done with it.  It is a Subversion of Control to directly manage your
own lifecycle classes though.

My take on it is that I am ready to implement new light-weight
asynchronously managed pools.  I started this in Scratchpad.  There is
the FixedSizePool for hard limits (it does not resize making the
implementation simple and quick).  The VariableSizedPool can be
externally managed.