avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Service Interface
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 13:37:22 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:17, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
> Anyways if you get a chance checkout
> proposal/myrmidon/src/java/org/apache/myrmidon/component/role
> proposal/myrmidon/src/java/org/apache/myrmidon/component/type

The time, the time...  (Speaking of which did you get my message I sent to you
off list?)

> from ant CVS and see what you think. They are about to be updated in a bit to
> support the interspicing of factory between service and component (ie your
> equivelent of a handler I guess). But other than that it would be interesting
> to see where we could merge stuff.
>

>>I have yet to move my new managed pool stuff to a new mpool package.
>>That way I can get rid of the Poolable interface.
>>

> Hell yes!
>
> I have an xpool package that I use for this that I could integrate into mpool
> if it is compatible. However my xpool is mainly for managing passive objects
> (ie. chunks of memory, packets, formatter objects) which don't have any
> "lifecycle" as such. Would this fit in with what you are doing with mpool?

Probably.  I still have a root ObjectFactory that can handle the process of making
any object with the newInstance() method.  The big difference is the asynchronous
manager (or if no CommandManager is pressent--no management).  I only have a
really simple manager for the pool interface.

Question:

How do you feel about making the external pool interface more like the ThreadLocal
interface?  The ThreadLocal Interface is like this:

ThreadLocal
{
     public getObject()
     protected newObject()
     public setObject()
}

:/  Then again, I say we ought to KISS:

Pool
{
     Object get();
     void put( Object ); // although return does speak louder as to its purpose
}

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin