avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: .NET Port of LogKit
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:46:47 GMT
On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 20:21, Gerhard Froehlich wrote:
> I don't know if I want Microsoft c# <spit> here. I just coded a little bit
> c# at the weekend, because know your enemy ;-). It's a shamless
> plug of Java and nothing really innovative.

I don't know about that. They have some nice concepts and several things that
I really really really wish java had (metadata being the most obvious example
aswell as a nicer library management system).

I don't plan to use it in the near future but if there is ever an open
implementation of it (see Mono project) that becomes mature enough and allows
me to cross compile my java files then I would definetly be interested in it.

> They just put their dirty
> COM objects in a package structure under hud of their so called
> language independet CLR VM. And it's more a marketing trick
> to get us Java devs on the MS side. In the API they don't mention
> in one word Java, as it would not exist, so C# don't exist for me.

Does JSP mention ASP?
Does EJB mention its predecessors?
Does JDBC mention JDBC?
Do you think any of the gaming profile will mention DirectX?
etc :)

I think this goes both ways. Parts of core JDK are shameless copies of
existing infrastructures - from "open" languages like smalltalk to closed
products ala ASP.

> That's my personal view. I would rather like to see a C++ port here ;).

That would be nice but I would also like C#, C, python, tcl, delphi etc
versions. The different perspectives may spark an idea that we had perviously
missed or failed to pick up on. More different implementations - espeecailly
from different perspectives can only help us be better equiped to write the
next version of whatever.

--
Cheers,

Pete