avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] RE: ComponentManager interface
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2002 17:21:31 GMT
On Sun, 17 Feb 2002 00:41, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
> >
> > > And this is where I disagree - not having remove requires the client
> > > to know about implementation details such as whether a component
> > > is thread safe or not, whether it is pooled or not.
> >
> > no it doesn't. It implies that the container has to manage resource
> > allocation and deallocation.
>
> It also implies that CM == container (as it does not expose any method for
> releasing resources) && all requests come in through the CM (otherwise
> it can not know when a request starts/ends), which is not true.

Thats not the conclusion I would draw - espcially considering all the
architectures that I have developed separate the notion of CM and
kernel/container (see Phoenix for an example) and those that do support
pooling do it transparently to the user - without the user even knowing that
a certain resource is poolable.

--
Cheers,

Pete

 "Man's mind stretched to a new idea never goes back to its original
dimensions." -Oliver Wendell Holmes