avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] RE: ComponentManager interface
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2002 21:36:45 GMT
On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 01:30, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > Correction - Excalibur has ThreadSafe, Poolable and SingleThreaded.
> > Framework does not.
>
> I believe we went through this and found some concensus that these
> three should be moved to framework as they represent general metadata
> about components that all implementations of the framework should
> be aware of, although they may not support those specified as optional
> (Poolable, for example, should be optional).

Everyone makes mistakes ;)

> Wrong. Returning components or service interfaces when you are done with
> them is just as fundamental as obtaining them.

I disagree - that is error prone and hard to use. Much easier to automate
this process and then the component writers never have to worry about it
again.

> It can be done with a wrapper, autogenerated by a code generator.

oh god no!

> And this is where I disagree - not having remove requires the client
> to know about implementation details such as whether a component
> is thread safe or not, whether it is pooled or not.

no it doesn't. It implies that the container has to manage resource
allocation and deallocation.

--
Cheers,

Pete