avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Silk == More Seda Extractions
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 10:54:09 GMT
On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 08:24, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Generally impressed with Matt Welsh's work, I began extracting the concepts
> for Cornerstone.  The issue is that the Stage is a specialized Component
> in the system, and we need a clean mechanism to manage inter-block stage
> architectures.  Enter SILK.  SILK is my acronym for Staged Interblock
> Linking Kernel.  (Hense the continued play on SEDA being the spanish word
> for SILK).

Kool sounding name ;)

> The general concept is that a Stage consists of the Component itself
> (handles the logic of the stage),

runaway! runaway! runaway!

Can't we use delegation instead ? ;)

> a group of input Sinks and one or more
> output Sinks. The SilkServer allows a Container to get a SourceMap for any
> stage that needs to be connected outside the system.

So sourcemap is the way that you set up routing between elements? So
basically sourcemap == routing map ?

The stage itself implements the routing table and also allocates resources to
each route according to some schedule/load balancing factors?

If so I don't think exposing sourcemap directly is a good thing. I have
attached the interface I use for my log server that shows how I set up
routing tables for it. Maybe that will explain it clearer than my words ;)

> My connundrum is trying to come up with a way to cleanly tie an
> EventHandler to a Stage.  Should the stage implement EventHandler, should
> the configuration file manage the class to be invoked, or should there be a
> getHandler() method?

How about another interface "EventHandlerFactory" that is responsible for
creating event handlers or something ? That way any strategy could easily be
implemented by implementing a different EventHandlerFactory object.

--
Cheers,

Pete