avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Examples directory for Excalibur
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 01:13:45 GMT
On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 01:40, Leif Mortenson wrote:
> I am trying to understand this :-)  Are you planning on restructuring
> existing packages into a buch on sub projects within the excalibur
> project?

possibly. Depends on how things go with the jakarta commons project. In about
a week I have a need to distribute single utility toolkits from excalibur
separately so if it can't be done in commons I will do it in Avalon.

> What does 'aut' stand for?

Avalon Utility Toolkit - really just an arbitrary name used to create another
directory. If you can think of a better name then that would be great.

> I was actually thinking that having a project whose sole purpose was to
> be a home for various examples would make it easier for new users to get
> their hands around Avalon.  Each example will be completely independent
> and run "out of the box" without the user having to much.  My goal was
> to be able to have people see a JdbcDataSource, or Logger example
> mentioned on the website.  Be able to download the examples project and
> then have the example running on their machine where they can see it
> work all within 15min to an hour (plus download of course) :-)

kool. I would love to see the same. I guess I see it being of more advantage
if the examples only focus on a single component. Makes it much simpler to do.

> I saw a couple of drawbacks to placing the examples in the
> jakarta-avalon-excalibur project.
> 1) It would make the size of the project balloon and be harder to manage.
>
> 2) Having everything together would make the whole Avalon system harder
> to get your arms around.  Both for developers and users.

Those are the two I guess I like least. Thats why if we do break down the
components down into single directories (like aut/cli, aut/jdbc etc) this
will be less of an issue. You will be able to include as many examples of the
different components without confusing people who dont want to look at the
component.

> I will upload an archive containing a draft of a new
> jakarta-avalon-examples project which includes a JdbcDataSource example
> application, in the morning.

kool - will look at it in a bit - I assume it has already come through by now
;)

> I think that I am missing what you want to do with the
> excalibur-cli-1.0.jar and other feature specific jars.  But couldn't
> that already be done now by simply building the specific jars, including
> only certain packages from the source?

yep - but it is still more complex for us to maintain I think.

--
Cheers,

Pete