avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert" <rmcint...@bull-enterprises.com>
Subject RE: remoting components
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:20:42 GMT

I'll definitely look into the altRMI stuff. Sounds pretty interesting.

Thanks for the help,
Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 10:39 PM
To: Avalon Developers List
Subject: Re: remoting components

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002 07:13, Robert wrote:
> I'm fairly new to the list, but have been watching with interest (I
like
> the ServiceManager stuff), and I'm slowly moving our product to use
> Avalon's stuff as much as possible.

kool.

> Anyway, I've been digging around a bit and still can't quite find what
> I'm looking for. What I want to be able to do is 'run' my components
> remotely and then look them up from some client. By this I mean I
would
> like to have a central location for them, such as a JNDI tree or
> something similar and have my clients, mostly installed Swing apps on
an
> intranet or webapps, lookup Components from this central repository.

What type of access do you need? Is it synchronous, async. It is to
transfer
large quantities of data or is small bits.

Mainly I would suggest you use existing technologies (JMS, RMI, AltRMI,
Sockets, SOAP, CORBA whatever) to do the remoting while you write the
server
side component using AValon iitnerfaces and infrastructure.

However it is difficult to recomend anything without knowing more about
your
use case ;)

> Is this something that Phoenix should be able to do? I'm a tad leary
of
> that just because my boss doesn't want a 'full' server (I know it's a
> microkernel, but have to convince others of such).

Phoenix could do it if you needed it but ...

> Should I build my own remote component implementation that will do the
> communicating via RMI or SOAP or whatever?

is probably the best way depending on what you want to do exactly. I
believe
there has already been some work so that various Phoenix blocks are
exposed
via AltRMI (RMI-like infrastructure), SOAP and JMX.

However you could easily write your own layer that exp[orted objects via

whichever technology is most desirable.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Frank Zappa observed: "It's not getting any smarter out
                       there.You have to come to terms with
                       stupidity, and make it work for you."

For additional commands, e-mail:
<mailto:avalon-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>