avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Rudd" <jr...@pinetree-tech.com>
Subject Re: .NET Port of LogKit
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2002 23:58:58 GMT
> I know, know, but when you dig deeper you will see how inconsistent
> everything is.

Just out of curiosity, what do you find inconsistent?  I know I've found
some inconsistencies in how things are implemented, but that's life when you
have 100s of developers working on one project.  I think it is fairly clean
given how many people were/are working on it.

> It's to much marketing driven. It's a shame, because there are sure
> good devs with great ideas at MS.

I'll admit the MS Marketing machine went crazy and started calling
everything .NET (Exchange, BizTalk, etc.).  They really through out a lot of
FUD that muddy the picture of the CLR and what it can be.

> Ok I see your point. Maybe it's time to look on the framework and the
> design and not on the language in which it is finally written.

C#, VB.NET, Eiffel#, etc. are all just syntatic sugaring.  The language that
is finally used is called MSIL (Microsoft Intermediary Language) which is
very similiar to Java Byte Code.

I think that people keep focusing on the language and not the framework as
you suggest.  The framework is awesome!  I finally get the good stuff that
you Java guys have had for awhile :-)

> So far +1 to see the implementation here. Maybe objective possibilty to
> rate the power of .NET.

Awesome!  I'm hoping if this goes well that I can start porting the Avalon
Framework, etc.  Ya'll have got a lot of great code and design in this
project.  I want to open it up to the other side.  I think that .NET
developers would love to use Avalon Framework and Excalibur.  Right now no
one (that I know of) is thinking about how to extend the framework and make
it (the framework) easier to work with.  Its all about "Fire up my wizard
and get some code!".

Justin