avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen McConnell" <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [VOTE] RE: ComponentManager interface
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:34:47 GMT

Ryan Shaw wrote:

> I am way too tired on a Friday afternoon at 6:30pm
> to really grok this. So I apologize for my lack of
> feedback. Hopefully I will have greater powers of
> understanding Monday morning.

:-)

> That will also give me time to look back at the
> archives and try to remember how the heck this all
> got started. :^)

That's easy ... ComponentManager interface

   Component lookup( String role );

   1. lookup returns an instance of Component
   2. this means CM cannot be used for object that cannot
      implement Component (e.g. anything arising outside
      of the Avalon enclave)
   3. general agreement that this is a bad thing
   4. but changing Component to Object breaks the compatibility
   5. therefore propose replacement interface under new package
   6. reach consensus on proposal and commit

Cheers, Steve.