avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen McConnell" <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [VOTE] RE: ComponentManager interface
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2002 00:56:40 GMT

Mark Woon wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
> > I've been through all of the email on this subject in detail and
> > carried out a useful exercise.  I basically combined all of the
> > ideas that have been circulating into one big interface.
>
> The thread started with a proposal to update the interface for
> ComponentManager.  Are these Service* interfaces meant to replace or work
> together with the ComponentManager interface?  I'm assuming the former...

Yes - the Service* interfaces are intended as a replacement of Component*.

> >   interface ServiceManager
> >   {
> >       Object lookup( String role );
> >       boolean hasService( String role );
> >   }
>
> What happened to release(Object obj)?

I removed the release operation from the ServiceManager interface
on the grounds that any container that is properly handling release
should be using the ServicePool interface.  You can see evidence of
the ambiguity of release in the DefaultComponentManager implementation
which is basically empty.

Cheers, Steve.