avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gas...@krankikom.de>
Subject RE: [RT] Is Poolable Harmful?
Date Sat, 05 Jan 2002 18:28:18 GMT
GREAT!

I am using a lot of Avalon stuff in my Web-apps framework and one
of the stronger reasons I am using modified Avalon code instead
of the real thing is just the use of interfaces like those:
  - ThreadSafe;
  - SingleThreaded;
  - Poolable;
and even
  - Component;

Forcing a component to implement a load of interface markers in
order to be used in the framework makes it harder to:
 1. Use 3rd party components with Avalon;
 2. Having Avalon components used by others.

Because:
 1. More work wrapping/inheriting from the original component in
    order to integrate it with Avalon;
 2. Avalon components having more dependencies on other Avalon
    parts.

Actually, the policy of forcing the use of those interfaces makes
Avalon a bit monolithic. (Hey, before you flame me notice that I
am saying just "a bit"!!!)

My pool, database connection pool, component manager, cache and
other generic "component managers" only impose interfaces on
component factories and similar "per component class" adapters.
(Hum... I am sure Peter would pick a better vocabulary!)

The roles idea is interesting and works very well when we are
talking about the roles managed by a ComponentManager. BUT it is
confusing for a newbie to have all those interface defining
roles, especially when some are just markers.

And in the end, even after getting familiar with the idea I ended
up finding it counterproductive due to the above reasons.

If you change this one I will only miss having an easy to use
component manager that can manage several components for the same
role (naming them). If one day you want to do this one, I would
like to contribute.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar

http://www.krankikom.de