avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: Divergence from Avalon (was Re: [RT] Is Poolable Harmful?)
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:21:14 GMT

> From: Paulo Gaspar [mailto:paulo.gaspar@krankikom.de]
>
> So, what is a Service and what is a Component?

Start by reading http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/developing/decomposing.html
if you have not done so yet. It has a discussion on what a component is and
isn't.

Just like you, I tended to make everything a Component when I started with
Avalon (getting there from an EJB background).

Rule of thumb: A Component is not a domain object.

You seem to have a COM / C++
background - have you worked with DirectX? The IDirectDraw interface is a
Component. The IDirectDrawSurface isn't. (As I see it, anyway.)

If you have EJB experience, I'd say a Component is roughly equal to a
Stateless Session Bean. It is *not* an Entity Bean.

/LS