avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@managingpartners.com>
Subject Re: Divergence from Avalon (was Re: [RT] Is Poolable Harmful?)
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 16:18:17 GMT
On Tuesday 08 January 2002 11:12 am, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Therefore the point of the original thread was to merge SingleThreaded and
> Poolable so that all SingleThreaded Components are pooled.

I believe Cocoon made use of the SingleThreaded interface explicitly a few
months ago when there were problems with a Xerces instance not being able to
be reset properly after having experienced a SAXException.

I do agree with the removal of Poolable and making the default for components
to be Poolable if not ThreadSafe, but I would suggest leaving SingleThreaded
so a component could be turned into a pure factory if need be. Granted it
would likely be the exception rather than the rule, but I think it would be
good to leave that functionality in there.
-pete