avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Fred Yeomans <fyeom...@whitehill.com>
Subject RE: General questions about JMX and Phoenix
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:52:48 GMT
Apologies - I think I have stumbled upon most of the answers I need (always
happens as soon as I send the question!)

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Yeomans [mailto:fyeomans@whitehill.com]
Sent: January 10, 2002 9:12 AM
To: Avalon Developers List
Subject: General questions about JMX and Phoenix

Folks,

I am fairly new to both JMX and Phoenix. My team and I are developing a
server built within the Phoenix framework, and I am looking at options for
the management app/console. I have several questions about the current state
of JMX within Phoenix, as well as the intended/planned architecture:

1) Currently, how much of Phoenix is actually instrumented?
2) What is the planned model for using JMX and Phoenix together. I see two
"high-level" approaches (based on my limited knowledge so far): a) Run
Phoenix as it is now (via the scripts in the bin folder), having Phoenix
instantiate the MBeanServer, etc., and register the managed components
within Phoenix with the MBeanServer. (b) Have a server run separately, which
instantiates the MBeanServer, and then creates an instance of Phoenix as an
MBean under that server.

How is Phoenix envisioned to do this?

3) Is it planned that components deployed under Phoenix would themselves be
manageable? If so, how would they get registered with the MBeanServer -
would they do this themselves, or would Phoenix register them as it created
them?

Any feedback on where this is going would be much appreciated.

Thx
Fred Yeomans