avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Mortenson <l...@silveregg.co.jp>
Subject New Committer Introduction (Leif Mortenson)
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2002 05:54:35 GMT
Hi all,
Thank you for the invitation to join the Avalon project as a committer.
After having gained so much from various Apache Group projects over the
past few years, I look forward to helping put something back in. I'll do
my best to maintain the high quality of code the project has maintained.

About me:
I'm 29, dangerously close to 30. Have been living in Tokyo, Japan for
about 6 years, but grew up in Seattle, Washington.

I got an EE degree from UW, but my professional history has been working
as a programmer since high school. Except for a 3 month spell working as
a Yakitori chef in Fukuoka, Japan. I started out playing with Basic and
Pascal on a PCJr. I've worked with Assembly, Fortran, C, C++ and Prolog
as well along the way and have worked on VMS, Solaris and Winxx
machines.. My career in Seattle was working as a QAEngineer where I
designed and implemented automated test suites for the products my
company was selling.

After moving to Japan, I began working as an SE doing contract work,
writing scheduling, quality analysis and automation systems for various
manufacturing companies. That was mainly done using a software system
called G2 from Gensym that lets you modify code as it runs (fun to work
with).

A little over 2 years ago, I left to work for the company I am at now,
Silver Egg Technology, where we make a recommendation server for
personalizing web sites, written in Java. This and my other work in
Japan has given me lots of experience with writing scalable high
performance server systems.

While at Silver Egg we built the Java Service Wrapper to help increase
the reliability of our server. Last fall, we were able to make it open
source. Ryan, a coworker, and myself now administer the wrapper project
over on Sourceforge. (http://wrapper.sourceforge.net)

Thanks again,
Leif