avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: javadoc - can I help?
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:47:24 GMT
Guthrie, John wrote:

> Just joined the list, just starting to look at the project. This is great
> stuff. My one complaint right now is the javadoc. It seems that most things
> I look up have the bare-bones (read "none") javadoc entries. For instance,
> today I was looking at the excaliber pool implementations to see what
> happens when I try to get something from a Pool where all resources are
> already taken up - does it block or does it return immediately with a null
> (or do either - right now I need the latter behavior)? But the javadoc for
> Pool's get() reads:
>  get
>  public Poolable get()
>              throws java.lang.Exception
>  java.lang.Exception

To answer your question, it depends on the implementation.  The DefaultPool
and SoftResourceLimitingPool both create a new instance for you--so it does
not fail.  The HardResourceLimitingPool has a timeout parameter, and if it
is not set will throw an exception imediately--otherwise it will throw an
exception if the timeout is exceeded.

> So what I'd be willing to take on, unless someone else is doing this, is a
> first pass at writing some real javadoc for some of this stuff, since I
> figure I will dig into the code anyway.

That's how I got started with the project.  By all means, please send in as
many javadocs as you can!

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin